Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Homemade Thai

After a disappointing experience at a local restaurant that serves a small selection of gluten free asian fusion food, I was inspired to give a go at one of my recipes begging to be used in the many cookbooks I have. This recipe comes from my Auntie and turned out well. It satisfied my craving for Thai and was healthy to boot! I hope you enjoy it.

Aromatic Noodles with Peanut and Lime Sauce
Salad Rolls

Recipe for Aromatic Noodles
3/4 lbs. pasta (Tinkyada Pad Thai noodles worked well)
2 c broccoli florets
2 c snow peas (1 c would have sufficed)
2 c sugar snap peas (1 c would have sufficed)
1-2 scallions chopped
1/2 c unsalted peanuts, roasted
1/2 c natural creamy peanut butter (I used creamy almond butter to increase the nutrients and it worked well)
1/4 c soy sauce (San-J gluten free)
1/4 c water
2 Tbs rice vinegar (I substituted with raw apple cider vinegar)
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
3/4 inch piece fresh ginger, grated (a microplane works great!)
2 Tbs brown sugar (I used natural muscovado, unrefined cane sugar)
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

To make sauce combine peanut or almond butter, soy sauce, water, vinegar, lime juice, ginger, sugar and red pepper flakes. Mix in a food processor or mix well by hand with a whisk. Set aside.

Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain, rinse well and set to the side.

Steam broccoli just until it starts to turn bright green, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add both types of peas and steam just until peas turn bright green. Immediately remove from heat and add to noodles. Add chopped scallions. Add 3/4 of sauce and gently toss until all ingredients are well combined. Top with peanuts and serve. Extra sauce can be served on the side to suit individual taste (I used the extra for the salad rolls).







No comments:

Post a Comment