Thursday, April 21, 2011

Final Mexio Post

Most nights we ate at the resort in The Bistro or visited the sister resort in town. The food was always great; clean, fresh, expertly seasoned. It also helped that the wait staff were fluent in English making it very easy for me to express my dietary needs. However, I rarely had to as there were always so many options. I followed the saying, "When in Rome, do what the Romans do" and made a point to eat guacamole and pico de gallo every single day I was there; it was an excellent decision. My favorite dishes while there were the chile rellenos (best I have ever had) and the enchiladas. I couldn't get enough of the chicken enchiladas with refried beans and rice. The mole sauce was a real treat, but the ranchero sauce continues to be my favorite. I treated myself to a margarita while there. It



paired excellently with my chips and guacamole. I had salad a couple times while there and was quite pleased as I had been very hesitant about eating fresh produce due to my condition. One salad in particular got a '10' for presentation. All I ordered was the mixed green salad (you'll see a picture of it below).

The trip to Mexico was amazing in so many ways. One way in particular is that it encouraged me that I really will regain a normal life even with my illness and severe food restrictions. I went to a foreign country and not only was able to find food to eat, but savored and enjoyed it tremendously. We all need those moments and experiences when we realize it really is going to be ok. Mexico did that for me. I hope you enjoyed sharing a bit of my adventure. Hope adventures to talk about are all in our near futures. Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment