Friday, May 20, 2011

Bubbles In My Tea

No matter who you are, bubbles just invoke happiness. A day that includes bubbles is a good day in my book, so when a friend in college said we should go and get some bubble tea I was all for it. I figured eating bubbles in any form could only have good result. I was right, I was much happier after my bubble tea and I was hooked.

Since then and after moving, I've been on the hunt for good bubble tea. There is a stark contrast to a good one and a not so good one. Fortunately bubble tea has increased popularity and it isn't too challenging to find a shop. Now you may be wondering what in the world I'm talking about, so I'll tell you. Bubble tea was created in Taiwan in the 80's. It became more popular in the 90's going worldwide. It is a tea (green or black) based  drink that is flavored with fruit puree or syrup, often has milk added and can come with pearls which are small balls of tapioca. It's a drink that requires a bit of eating but is oh so fun and tasty.

One of my favorite shops to get bubble tea is Tea Chai Te on NW 23rd. They offer a variety of unique flavors, have non-dairy options and three different pearl choices
(traditional tapioca, aloe vera and coconut jellie). The aloe vera and tapioca are my favorite and they are always willing to mix them. The tea shown was dairy free, lavender flavored with tapioca and aloe vera. Bubble tea isn't for everyone but it's definitely something worth trying once.


No comments:

Post a Comment