Wednesday, July 7, 2010

To start

Time to introduce! I am in my late 20's. I have a passion for life and one of my greatest loves in my life is food. Not just eating it, but creating it and sharing it with the people I love. Food is a common thread among all mankind. It can be an art form and a spiritual experience as it brings people together and unites them.

I have been battling chronic health issues since I was about 20 years old. I have exhausted all Western medicine in an effort to feel as alive and vigorous as I should given my age and how well I care for myself. All the tests and prescriptions have been to no avail and I have been left with no answers and poor health. I knew the situation had become dire when I was actually hoping the latest test for an auto-immune disease would come back positive. I figured if there was finally a diagnosis then I could finally get some answers and be able to work towards better health. Fortunately, the test came back negative. Unfortunately, I was left in the exact same spot - sick and tired of being sick and tired. The feeling of defeat was beginning to weigh heavily. About two weeks later my partner met with a Naturopathic doctor at a networking event. He was greatly impressed with her level of knowledge and knew so well the situation I was in. As a result I had an appointment 2 weeks later.

In my first appointment with her I explained my nearly decade battle to gain health and peace. We reviewed my symptoms and looked over all the tests I had taken previously. What we found was quite interesting.

Earlier in the year I had taken a comprehensive digestive system screening test. When my Dr. at the time reviewed it I was told to take some probiotics and a couple other supplements then sent on my merry way. What I wasn't told was the following: I lacked the necessary stomach and pancreatic enzymes to adequately digest my food, had significant inflammation throughout my intestine, Candida growing happily away in my digestive track, a significantly depressed immune system and an intolerance to gluten.

Now here I am a week and a half later on the craziest cleanse, the Candida cleanse, tyring to emotionally process the way I eat may forever be changed, yet excited that maybe, just maybe I may finally be well! The cleanse is overwhelming to say the least. As is the thought that I may never be able to eat gluten and potentially several other food groups again. In reality I haven't even begun to process that as the cleanse is taking up too much of my energy. I plan on describing my journey hoping to help others in their journey to better health and seek the advice of those who have gone before me in this quest. Thanks for reading!

Be Well!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment