Monday, April 18, 2011

Mexico Part I

Hola! Como estas? Mí? Muy bien.

I've just returned from a week long vacation in Mazatlan, Mexico. The week was full of relaxing, spending time with people I love and experiencing new and fabulous foods. I was a bit concerned given my various food intolerances and intestinal challenges however, the week went great and I'm feeling better than I have in months (the sunshine and endless rest & peace to be thanked)!

Given the extent of the trip and the amount of Blogging material I acquired while traveling, there's going to be a Mexico series. We stayed at the Pueblo Bonita Emerald Bay resort on the coast.  The scenery was awe inspiring. I hope you enjoy the recount.

One day we were feeling adventurous and took the city bus into Old Mazatlan. The streets wind themselves in lazy loops and are lined with buildings of vivid color. Old Mazatlan is nestled against the sea shore making it a nice walk or short taxi ride to watch the crashing waves and stroll along the surf.

Inside the limits of Old Mazatlan is The Market. An experience worth partaking in, but not for the faint of heart. The food health and safety standards are vastly different and as a result some of the odors in the meat areas are quite overwhelming. Regardless it is fascinating and full of color and a wide variety of interesting items. I was drawn to the produce stands where the fruits and vegetables abounded. It would have been easy to get carried away and I might when I visit again. However, I exhibited tremendous self control and only purchased a mango and avacado. Both were amazing (after I washed them with soap and peeled them to protect my sensitive digestive system), so full of flavor which really emphasized to me the importance of eating locally. My goal for the next visit is to prepare a minimum of one massive dinner using the fresh, local produce (the meat areas were a bit traumatic so the meals may be vegetarian...).

I encourage anyone who is traveling to visit food markets and partake of local food items. Food is integral to the richness and diversity of culture. The preparation, consumption and enjoyment of food is universal and can create bonds of understanding and friendship.




No comments:

Post a Comment