Saturday, April 16, 2011

Portland Farmers Market

Today marked my first visit to Farmers Market in 2011. It is always an experience that makes everything feel right in the world. Even on the cold and rainy day it was I beamed with enthusiasm and the joy that spring's bounty evokes.

The sights, sounds and smells are so enjoyable; rows of fresh produce, live music (an African drumming band this weekend) and local food vendors preparing food as ordered. Farmers Market reminds me that Portland is one of the best places to live. It's an experience not to be missed that only gets better throughout the summer.

The Market is getting more and more allergen friendly with a large majority of vendors labeling food items. My friend and I had breakfast from a great Mexican inspired stand, Verde Cocina. All the items were gluten free with many vegetarian and vegan options. The dishes have a Portland twist as they are bursting with fresh, seasonal produce from the Farmers Market. The animal products used are from local farms and are free range. I had Chiliquiles; handmade corn tortillas strips sauted with eggs, fresh veggies (kale, raab, carrot, onion and bok choy today), topped with bean salad, cojita cheese and fresh salsa. It was a delicious meal that also made my body feel great as it was packed with healthy protein and nutrient rich, energizing ingredients. I will definitely be back for more!


No comments:

Post a Comment